Thursday, September 11, 2008

Summer 08

So... back by, apparently popular demand, is a blog post from me, Matthew C Sereno (aka the Haitian Sensation).  

It has been a while for me and for that I apologize.  I would like to take a moment to just involve everyone in what has taken place in my life over the last several months.  After a very exhausting but very exciting spring time in Haiti during the last half of April and all of May, which consisted of ALOT of on campus construction, I headed home for the summer.   

As many of you know I am involved in a faction of the Children's Cancer Foundation, known as Hike for a Cure.  What this encompasses is an annual hike on the Appalachian trail.  This year we were planning on trying to do 100 miles however the entire first day was all up hill so we only did 50 miles again.   It was still a blast though, I LOVE hiking and camping.  After that I devoted just about 3 and a half weeks to the closet thing I have to a brother as he got ready for his wedding.  We did a week at the beach for his bachelor party/vacation (which he needed because he is a Kindergarten teacher, just bought a house last August, and was doing wedding stuff all year).  The wedding was probably the most fun I had had in a while.  He is the biggest Steelers fan I have ever met and for a wedding favor at the reception everyone got custom made "terrible towels" (which are a steelers thing the fans wave at the games).  They had the names and wedding date on them.  We were waving them the whole time.   Ok so, that is it for that.

The rest of my summer was spent at my most favorite place in the whole world (north of Florida that is).  

CAMP EPACHISECA, translated that is the:

Eastern
PennsylvaniA
CHristIan
ServicE
CAmp

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT THERE.  It the a christian church camp in my area and I have been working there for 6 or 7 years.   I spend the better part of 4 and a half weeks there and help the camp manager do whatever it is that he needs me to do.  This year was especially AMAZING because another guy and I got to kind of head up the Middle week, which is 6th and 7th graders.  I got to be the missions moment for the week, which means everyday I got to talk to them about Haiti for about 15-20 minutes.  It was cool to see them get fired up about it and ask sooo many in depth questions.  I was kind of caught off guard a little bit, but as always, I managed.  I even taught them a little bit of Creole.  For parents night, I had them sing TOUT BAGAY DEJA BYEN.   It was really awesome.   There are so many exciting and also possibly controversial things getting ready to take place there that I ask you keep the decision makers in your prayers.  This camp is getting ready to celebrate it 75th anniversary so it is very important to many people and hopefully many generations to come.  

Well that about sums up the summer for me.    Sorry that I did not write about this sooner. 

No comments: